Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stock design question?

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Allen View Post
    I am not aware of any rule regarding the slope of a forend. My 6PPC has a slope in that area.
    BOYDMAN lets open up that rule book and see if there is any restrictions on having the forend of the stock or front bag from having any typ of concaves on it, i have also wondered what the rules are for this typ of alteration

Gabe
    Are you asking Boyd to open that rule book up for his enlightenment or to actually post the rule because NBRSA short range clearly states the forearm “should” be flat or convex and not more than 3 inches wide. That’s somewhat cloudy because of the word “Should” but I’d live with the use of “must” in this rule.
    IBS states the forearm “will” be flat or convex and no more than three inches wide inclusive of stock tape.
    In IBS Hunter the stock “must” be convex and not more than 2.25 inches wide. I once asked at the IBS winter meeting for a definition of “convex” and was told the earth is convex.
    For a while the SE Region of NBRSA had a Bob Dodd built gage for measuring that 3 inch forearm and I spent one Friday evening in Greenville, Alabama cooking the stock tape off my LV rig because it made the forearm too wide.
    The rules of NBRSA clearly state the method for measuring the butt stock drop measurement. It states the drop shall be measured by the use of a rod guide and cleaning rod sticking out the rear of the action and measuring down from that rod to the bottom of the vertical drop of the butt. Kelbly built a jib for measuring that angle and Hobie Bond and referee Buddy Ross (I think) called competitors up to be tested at the Shamrock at MGGOA. I and Joe Krupa went up as called with our rifles, rod guide, and rod for the obligatory measurement. When told to place my rifle in the jig I refused (OH, I also had my rule book with me). I told them if I have to abide by the rules, so do they and that jig isn’t in the rule book. I won that argument and Joe Krupa said if Francis doesn’t use the jig, either do I. I won that that argument but referee Buddy Ross called me up for a weigh in before every match that morning. He couldn’t believe my anemic LV Metric stocked LV weighed 9 pounds 9 ounces and he was being a disgruntled and vanquished pain in the ass.
    Last edited by FBecigneul; 10-31-2019 at 05:51 PM.

Boyd
    That must be a Tom Meredith stock. I am not aware of any others that slope down to the rear or up to the foreword end of the forearm.

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    Gabe
    Are you asking Boyd to open that rule book up for his enlightenment or to actually post the rule because NBRSA short range clearly states the forearm “should” be flat or convex and not more than 3 inches wide. That’s somewhat cloudy because of the word “Should” but I’d live with the use of “must” in this rule.
    IBS states the forearm “will” be flat or convex and no more than three inches wide inclusive of stock tape.
    In IBS Hunter the stock “must” be convex and not more than 2.25 inches wide. I once asked at the IBS winter meeting for a definition of “convex” and was told the earth is convex.
    For a while the SE Region of NBRSA had a Bob Dodd built gage for measuring that 3 inch forearm and I spent one Friday evening in Greenville, Alabama cooking the stock tape off my LV rig because it made the forearm too wide.
    The rules of NBRSA clearly state the method for measuring the butt stock drop measurement. It states the drop shall be measured by the use of a rod guide and cleaning rod sticking out the rear of the action and measuring down from that rod to the bottom of the vertical drop of the butt. Kelbly built a jib for measuring that angle and Howie Bond and referee Buddy Ross (I think) called competitors up to be tested at the Shamrock at MGGOA. I and Joe Krupa went up as called with our rifles, rod guide, and rod for the obligatory measurement. When told to place my rifle in the jig I refused (OH, I also had my rule book with me). I told them if I have to abide by the rules, so do they and that jig isn’t in the rule book. I won that argument and Joe Krupa said if Francis doesn’t use the jig, either do I. I won that that argument but referee Buddy Ross called me up for a weigh in before every match that morning. He couldn’t believe my anemic LV Metric stocked LV weighed 9 pounds 9 ounces and he was being a disgruntled and vanquished pain in the ass.
    Francis this is for NBRSA rules only that I am asking for as I don’t shoot ibs or score in my area. I was looking at some stock designs and came across this, would this stock be legal in the nbrsa rool book?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	316DA72B-4777-42AE-902E-E9DBFC7E18D1.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	23047  
    Last edited by gabe ledesma; 11-01-2019 at 07:55 PM.

If you are referring to legal in NBRSA short range, I would say “no”. However, the word “should” makes it seem a bit cloudy. I would feel better if it said “shall or must”.

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    If you are referring to legal in NBRSA short range, I would say “no”. However, the word “should” makes it seem a bit cloudy. I would feel better if it said “shall or must”.
    Stock could be considered legal because there is no convex section. Both the rails and the cutout are flat.
    Definition of convex:

convex
    [ˌkänˈveks, ˈkänveks]
    ADJECTIVE
    having an outline or surface curved like the exterior of a circle or sphere.Compare with concave.
    "a convex lens"
    synonyms:
    curved outward · cambered · rounded · bulging · swelling · protuberant · [more]
    (of a polygon) having only interior angles measuring less than 180°.

Quote Originally Posted by DT1 View Post
    Stock could be considered legal because there is no convex section. Both the rails and the cutout are flat.
    Definition of convex:

convex
    [ˌkänˈveks, ˈkänveks]
    ADJECTIVE
    having an outline or surface curved like the exterior of a circle or sphere.Compare with concave.
    "a convex lens"
    synonyms:
    curved outward · cambered · rounded · bulging · swelling · protuberant · [more]
    (of a polygon) having only interior angles measuring less than 180°.
    LOL, I'd like to be there when you shoot a good one and tell the RO THAT!

Lovely logic though

Does the front bag have to be flat? As in two piece or one made with a 3 pocket bottom as to leave the center portion light on sand..

Quote Originally Posted by sdean View Post
    Does the front bag have to be flat? As in two piece or one made with a 3 pocket bottom as to leave the center portion light on sand..
    100% contact

Alinwa made it short and easy to understand. I'll mention again that folks are shooting extremely small aggs with a 3 inch flat stock...insinuating that the forend doesn't have much to do with anything except maybe weight.

The The NBRSA and for that matter the IBS rules regarding stock design are both different for long and short range. For the bag gun classes in short range the contact must be across the entire bottom of the forend, but for long range, there is no width or contact across the bottom requirement. The picture that shows relief on the bottom of the forend is of a stock that was probably designed with long range in mind. I say this because I have seen a picture of the entire stock and I do not believe that its toe angle would satisfy short range rules, the edge contact forend, and then there is the matter of weight. While long range LGs have a 17# limit, short range bag guns are limited to 10.5 and 13.5 and for that reason you do not see a lot of bulky wood stocks on the line. Not all long range stocks are built to only ride on the edges, but the latest and hottest one that I know of is. https://www.wheeleraccuracy.com/rifle-components
    From the NBRSA short range rules: "The stock should have a flat or convex forearm not more than 3 inches wide..."

"The front sandbag. The front shall be a bag, without additions, containing sand only, and at least 1⁄2” thick over its entire surface. The portion which contacts the rifle shall contact the entire surface under the fore end. Tape on the sandbag is legal.

From the NBRSA long range benchrest rules for both light and heavy guns: "

There are no stock limitations. "